Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Well. I went home. It was different, and weird, and fun, and sad, and many other things. Mostly good, but some bad. I've realized what everyone who has already graduated was talking about. Its not the same. We're old. We cant go back. Its changed. It was all fine and dandy for the first few days. I got to spend time with Amara and Megan and Sarah! That was lovely. We went to the look off, I got to watch the AUWE play for Dr. Hunsberger (which was amazing), and we spent some time just hanging out. Great. Then I went home and had some down time with my Teri and my meghan (korea megan who I wasnt supposed to see till Christmas, but I got to see TWICE while home! YEAH!). I had a great belated thanksgiving with my family, and then headed back to wolfville for the rest of my time.

This is where it gets interesting. Somewhere between dressing up as Chicken Simmons (a cross between Richard Simmons and a Chicken) and going to a "music" house crawl that was only 50% music majors and only abour 25% music majors I knew, I realized I'm old. I'm old and I shouldnt be there anymore. Which is good, because for the most part I'm not there anymore! Dont get me wrong. I'm very happy I went. I got to spend time with some lovely people and see some faces I love that I do miss dearly. However, it has changed. The people still there dont necessarily notice it, but it has. Its a different crowd with different friends and very different social habits. None of these things are bad! I was simply very aware that "my" wolfville no longer exists. I needed to go back though. I call it closure.

I didnt think I would miss Ottawa as much as I did. I missed the city and its droves of people. When I was shopping in Halifax with Mom, I saw three people from highschool that I havent seen in years. Ottawa is a better place for me. Speaking of better places, I finally got around to watching Eat Pray Love. No I didnt read the book first, I'm fine with it. I'm sure its good, but I know its no war and peace. I doubt I'm missing some beautiful tome of literature by simply watching the movie. I did love the movie though. It made me (and about 15 million middle aged women) want to travel and see the world with no connection to an outside life. Not possible, but it made me dream. Maybe when I go to Europe in February I'll just stay...HAH!

Otherwise life is good. Grant applications are all in process and final papers are being started...sort of...why change my scholarly habits in grad school when it was those habits that got me here? no? Fine.

I hope you are all well, and of course I miss every one of you!

love and best wishes,

Jacob

1 comment: