Sunday, October 10, 2010

A wonderful week in Ottawa

Hello everyone,

I hope the holiday weekend is finding you all well. Its been an eventful week here in good ol' Ottawa, and theres a day of excitement yet to come!

We had an amazing guest lecturer come to the school on Friday! His name is Jurgen Maedher, and he is the world expert on Puccini Opera. The man is AWESOME. A: he speaks 8 languages fluently (including chinese), B: he's like a little german santa talking about opera, C: He has an AWESOME accent, D: He is incredibly well read on Puccini and opera in general, he has AMAZING insights, E: he was incredibly nice. A few of us were talking to him between lectures, and he was just so happy to be at the school meeting young musicians. F: He splits his time between Berlin and Hawaii...How cool is THAT!

Then, friday night after a birthday dinner for Tinabeena, a few of us went to a concert of Oratorio selections that was pretty awesome. THEN on saturday I went down to EdRossJim's place for an amazing thanksgiving dinner. There was enough food to kill a sumo wrestler. There were only 8 of us, JimRossEd, Lucy Franey, Mark and John Franey, myself and a girl named Alex who was very nice. We ate, and drank, and played Balderdash. Perfect night.

Today, I ventured to the stationary store down past the market with my friend Claire. It was called Paper Papier. It was very Ottawa of them. Anyway, I was going because last night Ross showed me a fountain pen he bought there, and I NEEDED to get one too! SO I did. Awesome buy might I add. Then Claire and I walked around for about three hours! It was great. Went to the french baker and had a tea, and I got to meet her doggie! Adorable. About 30 minutes after I got home, I suited up again and went for a walk down to Strathcona park on the canal with Alyssa. I like Ottawa. I think it has its pretty parts and it is fairly green for being a city, but I am always aware that its a city. If I EVER feel like I need nature. I'm heading to Strathcona park. It was beautiful. Green grass, benches, the canal, ducks, playgrounds. It was great.

So now I'll tell you all about my day tomorrow! Its a busy one. I have a lesson in the morning with Shauna, who is great. Then, RIGHT after my lesson Colin Clarke and his amazing wife Laura are picking me up and we're going for lunch. Great! They are two of the most lovely people I've ever met, so I'm very excited. THEN if that werent a day and a half already I'm heading out to my cousins place on the base for a nice thanksgiving meal with family. FHEW! Busy day, but I'm excited. Then I suppose its back to the real world of readings and writing and library fun time!

Anyway, thats my life in a nutshell! I'm thankful for you all, and I hope you are all enjoying some much needed down time and reflection time.

Love you and miss you all as always,

Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment